Friday 20 June 2014

GELATO in ROME

If you are in Italy, how could you miss out GELATO

Here's a view from me about GELATO in Rome.


My trip to Rome is just like less than 3 days. I love eating ice-cream or Gelato. I had tried my best to eat every best Gelato in Rome.




Some of you have been wondering 

what's the difference between Gelato and Ice-cream?
Gelato is actually the Italian word for ice-cream. Gelato is normally denser, and milkier in texture yet has a soft elastic texture, while ice cream feels richer and creamier.
Lay man terms: If you tilt the Gelato, it will not fall. 

The difference depends upon three factors: fat, air and temperature

Gelato is made by churning it in a lower speed as compared to ice-cream. As a result, it is not so dense as not much air is whipped into the mixture. 

FACTS ABOUT GELATO and ICE-CREAM:

-Gelato contains about 25 to 30 percent air while ice cream can contain as much as 50 percent air
-Ice cream is typically served frozen, gelato is typically stored and served at a slightly warmer temperature, so it's not quite completely frozen.



But one thing ice cream and gelato do have in common: you won't be able to resist just one more scoop!



1) VENCHI




Flavours: Nougatine & Cremino 1878


I have this in Rome Fiumicono Airport. I think this is one of the best Gelato I ever had. One thing I realise is the colours are not as bright as other Gelatos. No bright green for the pistachio or vivid pink for strawberry. Is it a good sign? I think the shades are the exactly the same as the fruit they come from.

Venchi is a company producing fine Italian chocolate. I would suggest to try their chocolate flavoured Gelato would be the best choice.

Via degli Orfani, 87 - 00186 Roma   
Tel. 06 69925423   
Openings: Everyday 10.30 - 24.00   
Nearest Landmark: Pantheon



Craving of Gelato before you leave Rome, here's one inside the airport.

Aeroporto L.Da Vinci - Terminal 1/3 - 00054 Fiumicino
Tel. 06 65017412 

Openings: 9am- 9pm
Nearest Landmark: Rome Fiumicino Airport (Terminal 1 or 3)



2) OLD BRIDGE


Couldn't get a perfect picture as the Gelato melted so soon under the bright sun

A visit to Vatican city,  the world's smallest country is a must when you are at Rome. Craving for Gelato near Vatican city? Well, you're on luck. 

Old Bridge serves one of the best scoops and the prices are affordable. You can get 2 scoops from a price of 2.50 Euros for a normal cone which I think it is the market price for all Gelatos. La Gelateria Old Bridge only uses whole milk, cream and fresh fruits in its famous ice-cream. I would suggest you to try their fruity Gelatos.

One thing I don't like about is the que is always so long. Well, this shows that a good Gelato deserve a wait. 


Viale Bastioni di Michelangelo, 500192 Roma Italia
Tel: +39 06 4559 9961
Openings: 9am – 2am
Nearest Landmark: Vatican City (near San Pietro)




3) GROM




Before my trip to Rome, I have read through Singapore's famous blogger Lady Iron Chef. One of his post is about the Rome's Best Ice- Cream. 

On our way to Pantheon, we passed by Groom and decided to give it a try. Initially, Groom gave me an impression of korean ice-cream instead of Italian Gelato. They have korean words written all over the shop and their Gelatos are covered with lid. One thing I dislike is I couldn't have a good view of the texture of the Gelato before deciding what flavour I want. 

Since it is recommended, I decided to give Pistachios and Crema Come Una Volta since they are voted as Grom's classics. However, the taste did not fail us. The texture and the flavours are so natural. I went back to did some research, it is actually one of the famous Italian gelateris in Italy having outlets in Florence, Venice, Milan, Rome and New York. 


Via della maddalena, 30A
Tel: +39 06 68210447
Sun to Thu: 11am – 11pm, Fri & Sat: 11am – 12midnight
Nearest Landmark: Pantheon




4) MELOGRANO




Melograno is situated near the Trevi Fountain. There are lots of Gelatos around Trevi Fountain which you might get confused and wondering which one has the best Gelato.

I would recommend Melograno as their texture is good and their flavours are refreshing. 
With a price of 2.50 Euros you could get doube big scoops which I think is worth the price if you're considering a budget trip. By comparing the cone with my face, you could see the size of the Gelato.  This was also the most generous portion size for gelato of my entire trip. 

I tried the Pistachios and lemon flavour as it is highly recommended. It's worth a shot!






Piazza di Trevi 10100187 RomeItaly
Tel: +39(0)6 6792802
Nearest Landmark: Trevi Fountain


I hope that I have more time to try more of Gelatos. If you are in Rome, definitely must try these Gelatos! 

No comments:

Post a Comment