Wednesday 9 July 2014

My experience in CYPRUS, Limassol

I went on a trip to Cyprus and stayed in my friend's house. I am grateful for her family's hospitality which made my days in Cyprus unforgettable.

Many of my friends had asked me where is Cyprus. Just want to let you all know that it's the south-est part in Europe. They speak Greek and consider as one of the most popular island in Mediterranean. They have super nice beaches and one the popular places during summer time. You shouldn't miss the summer beach clubs as the party never ends there!


The time I went was during their carnival time. It's a different experience for me to have such culture. I don't think I can experience this in Malaysia. The town that my friend lives is at Limassol.



As you can see everyone is dressed up in different costumes for the walking parade.


Citizens of Limassol took part in Carnival Parade.


Everyone can take part in the parade.
This was taken when the after the children's parade. Imagine there is so much people watching the parade.

We also went for a night Carnival parade near the castle area in Limassol. The place was so crowded and these people really dressed up. I am amazed by their creativity of their outfits. You can find roller coasters, superheros, plants, etc. You won't feel weird dressing up as everyone is going crazy together roaming around the street.





My friends and I on the night of Carnival Parade.

Few crazy outfits and moments we shared together during my visit. 

I was dressed at a Cypriot school girl and my friend dressed up as an African lady. 
For what I am wearing is their original high school uniform. 


This is one the of craziest picture I ever had and I haven't been sharing it on any social media. 


We are trying to be cute
They really dressed up to take such a good picture.




I am lucky enough to visit her grandmother's winery, AYIA MAVRI winery. It was located at the Koilani village up the hills.


A prove of my visit to Ayia Mavri Winery
The view from the top of the hill near the winery with my Cypriot friend. 

I had a wine tasting session with her grandmother and been taught about the some knowledge about wine tasting. It's one of the moments that I cherish the most.


Perhaps you can try these white wines and red wines. Ayia Mavri Winery had won numerous international awards on its wine.


The wine are kept in a cooling place to preserve the taste of the wine. These wine are arranged in the order of year.
Cafe Tavern at Koilani Village.
Cafe Tavern serves the best Greek food at Koilani Village. Unfortunately, I remember clearly that everyone was too hungry so we did not take picture of the food. I have tried all the Greek food in a day at Cafe Tavern. All I could say is the food are super duper awesome. 

At Koilani Village, you will see Almond trees along the road. Behind me is these pretty little Almond trees. 


The place that my friend lives is just 10 minutes away from the beach. Below are some previews of the beach that I went. 

It was a windy and sunny day. I will put up some pose when I saw there's a camera on me. 


Sitting on the rocks at the beach.






These rocks that are kinda special to me. I kinda notice these rocks when I have a friend who studies Geology in my university.







Her mom drove me to another famous beach in Limassol. However, the beach is only opened during summer time. As you can see, the place is quite deserted during winter time. This is called the Ladies Mile Beach


During Summer time, Limassol has the best clubs around this beach. It is known famous because the party never ends during summer time. I would definitely visit Cyprus again during summer time. Can't wait to experience summer party here! 





It looks like a desert for me at this view. Well, you know is not. 

I was lucky enough to have delicious Greek food in Cyprus. I had satisfying meal everyday thanks to her grandmother who is a great cook.


Makaronia tou fournou
One of my favourite dishes is Makaronia Tou Fournou. To me it looks hard to make as it takes time to bake it layer by layer. It is also one of the special dishes that I ever had in my life.


A perfect Greek dish served with Greek Salad, Tzatziki and Koupepia.


Tzatziki , a sauce that is made of Greek Yogurt


Koupepia
 Koupepia is my favourite dish of all. I could say it has a special taste.  It is uses grape leaves stuffed with rice, ground pork or beef and fresh herbs. As you could see, it takes a lot of preparation work to make this dish. I never know that grape leaves can be eaten!


Suvla and Suvlakia
Suvla is the Greek style of grilled lamb. Meanwhile,  Suvlakia is for pork. Suvlakia can also have them with chicken. I love Suvla so much. One of the food that I missed the most when I left Cyprus. During special occasions, they will make Suvla for celebration. For instance, 50 days before Easter, Greeks known this period as fasting period. They are not allowed to have meat within these 50 days. The day before fasting period, they will have Suvla or Suvlakia to celebrate in schools or at home. The whole street will have the smell of these delicious Suvla.


Pitta Souvkakia
Basically, this food is like having pitta wrapped with Suvla (meat) and some vegetables. It's kind of like a Lebanese meal.

Fasoles Karavisies. This is a very popular Greek dish which is eaten in most Greek homes. It is actually like beans with tomato sauce for some people. 
Fresh Green Olives


Black Olives

Pourekia
Pourekia is normally served as a dessert.The stuffing are Halloumi Cheese (Greek Cheese) and some mint. It is then fried and served with some icing sugar as a coating (optional). 


Some Sri Langka dishes to light my tummy up. I feel like home having these spicy dishes. 

I am also lucky enough to try her Sri Langka's housemaid's home cooked meal. Although the curry is a bit different than Malaysia's curry, it is definitely one of the satisfying meal I had.  




Outside the garden where my friend lives, I am able to see lemons trees.  




I am glad to see lemon trees. It's the first time of me seeing lemon trees. These lemons do smell good!
 Next is my favourite place before I leave to the airport, Petra Tou Romiou. Kind of regret that I didn't pack my stuffs earlier so that I can have a better view of this place before the sun goes down.  Anyway, it's still pretty to me. 

Petra Tou Romiou is Aphrodite's birth place. If you're wondering who is Aphrodite, you better brush up your history. Aphrodite is the Goddess of Beauty. In Greek religion, there are 6 God and 6 Goddess. If you're interested maybe you can read up some information and have a idea of these Olympians here.


Petra Tou Romiou, a place you must visit.


I don't know why I am just loving this picture. I love the gaze of the mother towards their children and the sister hugging the little baby. This is what I called family love. 

Overall, my entire trip was superb. I am lucky enough to stay at my friend's place at the same time having a free tour guide guiding me around this wonderful city. I would sure come to Cyprus again in Summer time to have a different experience. My next stop would be Ayia Napa in Cyprus. They have the best beaches in Cyprus! 

Meanwhile I have also updated a Review of ice-creams at Vista Bar & Terrance at Four Seasons Hotel. Link it to read the whole article. 

Hope you guys too have Cyprus in your bucket list! I shall update more about my travel experiences so stay tune to my blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment